Legal department operations are the core of the sustainable effectiveness. Best-in-class legal departments invest in operations management to performance and legal results in a cost effective manner.
Legal Operations: Objectives
Well managed legal operations are the core of a high-performing legal department’s overall, sustainable effectiveness. Best-in-class legal departments have invested time, effort, and resources to optimize legal operations.
Strong legal operational performance is paramount to the achievement of the goals of the legal function and larger corporation itself. However, it can be difficult for legal department leaders to manage the complexities of operational performance while also overseeing substantive practice areas and ongoing legal matters. As such, legal operations has emerged as "the glue" that holds the various practice areas and functions of the department together.
With effective operations, the best legal departments leverage a business-driven, high-performing, scalable delivery model to tackle both the routine and the unexpected challenges that invariably arise.
Legal Operations: Overview
Creating a legal operations management approach in areas such as financial and performance management, reporting, billing, vendor management, resource allocation, outside counsel management, and legal analytics can reduce costs and free up scarce resources that can be reallocated to higher value legal work.
Most legal departments benefit from optimizing legal operations management, regardless of size. By re-engineering legal department functions, systems and processes, effective legal department operations enables in-house counsel to focus purely on high value legal activities. Effective re-alignment of roles and responsibilities ensures work is being performed by appropriately qualified, but lower cost-resources.
Legal Operations: Solutions and Savings
Argopoint helps build and improve legal operations excellence. We help clients identify and implement legal operations management best practices. Our support for legal operations strategies can focus on:
- Performance management strategies
- Improved processes and management approaches (with enabling technology as appropriate)
- Optimized workflow supported by guidelines and SOP's
- Improved roles and responsibilities
- Demand management disciplines (legal departments fail when they are order takers; they need to actively identify "customer needs" and prioritize stakeholder requests)
- Optimized contract management
- Vendor (ancillary, non-law firm, legal services) management
- Outside counsel management
- Litigation support
- Knowledge management
- Technology support
- Financial and budget management disciplines
- Performance and cost dashboards
- Data and legal analytics
- Professional capability and resource development
- Program management
- Cross-departmental and cross-functional alignment
Argopoint helps legal department leaders maximized and drive significant value from their legal teams through optimized legal operations.