Legal department management falls to legal department leadership and includes many managerial, financial, and organizational challenges; effective legal leaders go beyond merely monitoring operations, to provide strategic value-add to departmental activities.
Legal Department Management
Legal Department Management: Overview
Powerful legal department management approaches bolster shareholder value by developing a proprietary set of actions that make the “whole” worth more than the sum of its parts. Corporate legal department management is complex and includes the management of people (roles and responsibilities, structure, incentive, and culture), workflow (processes, approaches, and systems), information, knowledge, legal service providers, and other critical resources.
Using an array of strategies developed over a decade of working with Fortune 500 corporate legal departments, Argopoint is able to effectively implement tailored management solutions for corporate legal departments.
LEGAL DEPARTMENT MANAGEMENT: OBJECTIVES
Both the critical and lower-level tactical decisions of the legal department should align with a high-level legal department management plan that is based on clear objectives. It is imperative that the plan provides both short and long term direction (and boundaries).
Legal department management encompasses an array of objectives:
- Legal matter management: The legal department is typically responsible for all legal and legal related external matters such as litigation, investigations, compliance, mergers and acquisitions. This is a diverse, complex, and often unpredictable portfolio of challenges.
- Service delivery management: The legal department is often a service provider to key groups with the company. Determining service delivery mission, boundaries, and models are key. Measuring and monitoring effectiveness and engagement is critical.
- Corporate role management: The legal department is a business unit inside the corporation. As a non-revenue generator, the department must continually demonstrate how it adds value within the company. Key concepts, appropriate reporting, tools and communication are vital.
- Stakeholder management: The legal department must interact with internal clients and departments, subject matter experts, regional and far-flung offices, outside counsel, consultants, and government and regulatory bodies. Diverse key stakeholders must be managed effectively.
- C-level management: The general counsel typically reports to the company chief executive. The general counsel has a high degree of accountability and visibility within the organization. Organizational accountability is best optimized using an appropriate legal department strategy and management approach.
LEGAL DEPARTMENT MANAGEMENT: SOLUTIONS
Argopoint is experienced with the pressures placed on corporate legal departments. The challenges and increasingly "high stakes" decisions made by legal departments create a dynamic in which effective management is crucial. Argopoint devises effective management solutions for each corporate legal department, considering both short and long term goals.
Taking into consideration the diverse needs our clients have, Argopoint uses a wide array of management consulting tools to ensure delivery of tangible results. Benchmarking, industry best practices, process improvement, outside counsel management and legal analytics are just a few of our many services that allow us to tailor high-impact deliverables and meaningful change for our clients.
Argopoint works directly with corporate legal department leaders and stakeholders at all levels to ensure effective strategies are devised and implemented. Argopoint’s strategies are sustainable, driving both effectiveness and efficiency. Our approaches, based on deep industry knowledge, have helped many legal departments overcome both internal and external challenges.