Whether building a legal department from scratch, or expanding a relatively small legal department, there is immense value in strategic planning ahead of any legal department expansion.
Building the Legal Department
As companies grow in revenue and headcount, they face increasing legal exposure and legal expenses. Often, a rapidly growing organization can be overwhelmed by the dramatic rise in legal activity that accompanies their growth – especially if the organization lacks a formal legal department. Whether building a legal department from scratch, or expanding a relatively small legal department, our clients have recognized immense value in strategic planning ahead of any legal department expansion. Our experience and analyses provide growing legal departments with the tools they need for sustainable growth.
Argopoint’s deep industry experience and analytical tools provide rapidly growing legal departments with long-term growth strategies and the short-term action steps required to prepare for this growth, including:
- Determining in which practice areas to invest
- Establishing a long-term growth strategy
- Creating tools and best practices for identifying and managing internal resources
- Creating tools and best practices for evaluating, selecting, and managing outside services
- Developing tools to manage a growing number of legal professionals
- Integrating the legal department into the broader organization
- Creating a mechanisms for future change management
- Implementing internal and external communication strategies
- Preparing for downstream consequences of growth (e.g., emergence of an Intellectual Property portfolio, international/transnational issues, knowledge management)
- Shifting from a small, centralized legal department to a legal department with multiple practice areas
Our enthusiasm for helping innovative organizations develop their internal legal team pervades our projects. We find that one of the most exciting times to collaborate with legal professionals is just as the need for a large-scale in-house team is arising. Our research acumen and expertise in working with internationally acclaimed legal departments enables us to provide the framework for sustainable growth within the legal department.